+44(0) 1284 811 401 info@equinenursing.com

Looking for a recognised qualification?

We offer two qualification options for those who have previously worked or are currently working in Practice and want to gain a formal qualification. Programme selection is governed by the entry criteria summarised in the table below.

For detailed information about each programme click on the table.

Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between a nurse and a technician?

We have past and present students working in veterinary practice with both qualifications. In equine practice, the role of a veterinary nurse or veterinary technician are very similar – you can view a comparison of both roles here.


What is a training practice?

To ensure practices are able to provide a suitable training environment they must be approved by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) as a Training Practice (TP).

  • Students who wish to complete the City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing must be working or have a placement at an approved TP.
  • Students who wish to complete the BTEC Equine Nursing Technician programme do not have to have a placement within a TP, but do need to complete at least 100 hours in veterinary practice.

A TP is a veterinary clinic or hospital that meets particular criteria set by the RCVS. While some practices may be RCVS accredited, an additional application is required to be made to become a TP.

List of current equine training practices

If a practice is not already a TP, TOCES can arrange the approval process. This applies to UK and overseas practices. For further information about becoming an approved RCVS Training Practice please see How to become a Training Practice. 

Can I study from outside of the UK?

Yes, as a distance learning college, students are able to study both the RCVS accredited City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma and the BTEC Equine Nursing Technician programmes from anywhere in the world!

International students are able to attend block study weeks once a year, so it is only necessary to visit the UK for practical training twice over the duration of the programmes.

Please contact us for further information.